BAGUIO CITY – Local police authorities underscored that Baguio city is still a safe place to live, study, work and do business amidst the occurrence of isolated but highly publicized crimes.
Police Lt. Col. John Cayat, Jr., Baguio City Police Office (BCPO) Deputy City Director, pointed out that the incident where the naked body of a dead woman was dumped in a garage of a residence at Alfonso Tabora barangay early Tuesday morning is still the subject of an in-depth investigation that is why the public should not come up with speculations that might cause further confusion.
Further, he sated that the public must also refrain from sharing unverified reports and insinuations on the case that are posted in the social media to avoid sowing fear among the residents and tourists on the real situation in the city.
The police official asserted that the BCPO is pooling all its resources to identify the culprit behind the said incident to make the people behind such brutal murder of the woman suffer the consequences of their criminal act.
On the other hand, Cayat explained that in the case of reported missing persons, there is no truth to the reports because those individuals that had been earlier reported to have gone missing already went home and joined their families.
According to him, the public should avoid sharing the same in social media because it adds up to the confusion of the people on the said matter instead of helping clarify that the said missing individuals were able to go home and rejoin their families.
Moreover, he added that the reported presence of different colors of vans that are allegedly involved in the kidnapping of children, mostly girls from the various schools in the city, is also not true because there are no reported kidnapping incidents that transpired in the city.
Cayat stipulated that if people are aware of said vehicles and individuals involved in the said incidents, they must immediately inform the police so that appropriate action will be taken to apprehend them instead of posting and sharing the same in social media to avoid sowing fear among the populace.
The BCPO deputy chief urged the public to be responsible social media users by not sharing posts that could sow fear among the people but instead learn to report the matter to the nearest police station so that appropriate actions will be done to prevent the occurrence of incidents that might pose a serious threat to the law and order in the city.
He reiterated the stand of the local police force that Baguio remains to be a safe place to study, live, work and do business.