Itogon, Benguet – The Government Association of Certified Public Accountants (GACPA) – Cordillera Chapter, and the Philippine Institute of Certified Public Accountants (PICPA), Baguio-Benguet Chapter conducted an outreach program at the Bethesda Children’s Home (BCH) last October 15, 2016, in Tuding, here.
GACPA Chapter President Constancia Oras-Molintas and PICPA Chapter President Rhad Vic F. Estoque led the officers’ determination to defy the presence of Typhoon Karen to pursue the organizations’ social responsibilities.
More than one hundred children warmly greeted the group. These children came from different places like the Cordilleras, Cagayan Valley and Casiguran, Aurora to seek shelter and education at the Home.
During the outreach, these children were served lunch and were provided with toiletries. Smiles and enjoyment from the children became warmth in the cold weather as they shared their talents during a humble and simple program. GACPA and PICPA said they will not resist invitation of BCH for another visit upon hearing the children’s truly inspiring stories.
Speaking on behalf of the group, Molintas encouraged the children to be good Christians, to focus on their studies, to pursue their dreams and maybe become accountants someday. She also acknowledged their partners, including Saint Louis University’s Department of Accountancy, who generously shared their resources used for the program.
The outreach served as an avenue where CPAs are exposed to the situation of the less fortunate members of the society and be able to extend a helping hand and is in line with the commitment of GACPA and PICPA to a strong, active and devoted sense of duty to society. Both organizations vow not only to promote professional development of CPAs but also hold outreach programs and community relations-enhancement activities beneficial to the members in particular and to the community at large.
BCH is a Christian-run orphanage and school established in 1948. It is located at Tuding, Itogon, Benguet. The whole church, staff house, clinic, and dormitory of the BCH were destroyed by fire last January 26, 2015.