ITOGON, Benguet – A total of 38 transport workers in Gumatdang, Ucab, Tuding received livelihood assistance on September 26, 2023, at the Itogon Training Center, Bua, Tuding, Itogon, Benguet.
The assistance is under the ‘EnTSUPERneur’ program of the Department of Transportation (DOTr) and the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).
The program aims to provide alternative sources of income to public transport drivers and operators expected to be affected by the Public Utility Vehicle Modernization Program.
Each beneficiary received P30,000 worth of livelihood packages which include equipment and commodities for an auto repair shop, rice retail, piggery, sari-sari store, fishery, and poultry.
Mayor Bernard S. Waclin expressed gratitude to DOTr and DOLE for extending their program to Itogon transport workers. He advised beneficiaries to work hard for their businesses to prosper.
Present during the awarding ceremony were OIC Assistant Regional Director of DOTr–CAR Jennylyn Avelino, DOLE Regional Director Nathaniel Lacambra, LTFRB-CAR Representative Engr. Lalaine Sobremonte, and Councilor Norberto Pacio.
DOTr OIC ARD Avelino said that the livelihood assistance has a ‘multiplier effect’ to boost economic activity. She advised transport workers to drive carefully and advised operators to provide fair compensation for drivers. DOLE RD Lacambra emphasized the importance of hard work in managing livelihood, sharing that only 5% accounts for the grant while the remaining 95% relies on the managing abilities of the ‘en(tsuper)nuer.’ LTFRB CAR representative Engr. Sobremonte reminded the beneficiaries that the DoTr-DoLE shall continue to monitor the progress of livelihood grants awarded.