Firstly, great emphasis is given that the contents of this series are intended to give Biblical information and insights on some of its contents. They are not intended to scare or offend anyone. It is one’s prerogative to read and never be shoved into one’s throat.
This piece is a simple sharing of bible passages. It doesn’t endorse any specific faith, religion, denomination, system of beliefs or theology aside from those in the bible.
It is in the “exercise and enjoyment of religious profession and worship, without discrimination or preference” as provided by The Philippine Constitution that this article was made.
If you find them scary, intimidating or offensive, please feel free to take them with a grain of salt and regard them like a badly written movie script.
The bible featured in other fields and industries
The bible is the best selling book of all-time. It is, therefore, not surprising that some of its contents were used in various fields and industries. Here are some trivia about parts and teachings of the bible used in fields other than faith and religion and how it contrast with biblical teaching and doctrine, whenever applicable:
Concrete Angel: “Kid flies to a place where she is loved”
This is one of the powerful songs by Martina McBride which has multiple messages. This song got many to focus on the deafening silence by witnesses to child abuse part and there’s nothing wrong with this emphasis.
In addition, this is one of the commercial songs which accurately portrayed multiple biblical facts.
Commendation is first given to the writer for an intriguing set of lyrics sang by the most appropriate singer.
Second, the video gave the biblical relationship with the song. One cannot imagine the real intention of the writer without this video presentation.
The video production was even better. Really! You’ll never guess who the angel is during the first time you watch this. Notice some the background when the “real angel” makes an appearance in the window scene and the reaction of other kids on him when he finished his mission during the last seconds of the video.
Finally, let’s count the biblical facts clearly pointed out by the song and the video: (1) there is another life after death; (2) children belong to God; (3) God allows suffering of the innocent; (4) there are angels assigned to a child; (5) there is a place for God’s believers where they are loved.
Here are the bible verses backing up these facts:
(1) 23For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 6:23, NKJV. (2) 2And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them 3and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 18:10, ESV (3) 1There was a man in the land of Uz whose name was Job, and that man was blameless and upright, one who feared God and turned away from evil. 6And the Lord said to Satan, “Behold, he is in your hand; only spare his life.” Job 1:1, 2:6; ESV (4) 10“See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven. Matthew 18:10, ESV (5) 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. 4He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” Revelation 21:4, ESV
Ginebra San Miguel’s angel vs demon logo
In the Philippines, and probably in the entire world, no commercial product or service features bible characters and place more relevantly than the famous gin of Ginebra San Miguel Incorporated.
Aside from the obvious reference to Michael, the archangel, in its tradename, the product’s logo clearly depicts an angel triumphing over or slaying a demon. The background shows the fight takes place somewhere in the skies and the defeated demon falls into a fiery place.
While the idea of relating the top angel of God to an alcoholic beverage is odd and detested by most Christians, the name and logo clearly align with biblical facts.
(1) There is an angel called Michael (referred to as Saint Michael by the Roman Catholic Church, thus the name of the product) 9Yet Michael the archangel, in contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!” Jude 1:9, NKJV.
(2) There is a devil who fought against Michael in heaven and lost. 7And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, 8but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer. Revelation 12:7-8, NKJV
(3) There is a “lake of fire” prepared for the devil and demons. 41“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. Matthew 25:31-33, 41 ESV 10and the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever. Revelation 20:10, ESV
Bohemian Rhapsody: “Beelzebub” makes a cameo appearance
“Bohemian Rhapsody” is a song performed by the rock band Queen and written by its lead singer Freddie Mercury. It was featured in band’s 1975 album “A Night at the Opera”.
According to Tom Service, the song is highly unusual for a popular single in featuring no chorus, combining disparate musical styles, and containing lyrics which eschew conventional love-based narratives, and instead make allusions to murder and nihilism.
During a rapid series of rhythmic and harmonic changes which introduces a pseudo-operatic midsection, the narrator is depicted descending to hell.
Included in the lyrics was a line that says: “Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me, for me, for me!”
This line concludes the operatic part of the song.
Belzeebub is a name associated with Satan or the devil in the bible. It, in fact, appears in multiple books.
22And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem said, “He has Beelzebub,” and, “By the ruler of the demons He casts out demons.” Mark 3:22, NKJV
18If Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand? Because you say I cast out demons by Beelzebub. Luke 11:18, NKJV
27And if I cast out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they shall be your judges. Matthew 12:27, NKJV
2Now Ahaziah fell through the lattice of his upper room in Samaria, and was injured; so he sent messengers and said to them, “Go, inquire of Baal-Zebub, the god of Ekron, whether I shall recover from this injury.” 3But the angel of the Lord said to Elijah the Tishbite, “Arise, go up to meet the messengers of the king of Samaria, and say to them, ‘Is it because there is no God in Israel that you are going to inquire of Baal-Zebub, the god of Ekron?’ 2 Kings 1:2-3, NKJV
Regarding how the name was used in the song, there is conformance of biblical teaching.
1. Satan is indeed the leader of demons as seen in Mark 3:22 and Revelation 12:7.
2. He can command former angels that became his demons. 3And another sign appeared in heaven: behold, a great, fiery red dragon having seven heads and ten horns, and seven diadems on his heads. 4His tail drew a third of the stars of heaven and threw them to the earth. Revelation 12:3-4, NKJV
3. His minions do follow his lead: 14And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light. 15Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works.2 Corinthians 11: 14-15, NKJV
4. Satan can cause sickness: 16And ought not this woman, a daughter of Abraham whom Satan bound for eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the Sabbath day?” Luke 13:16, NKJV
5. Satan can cause a person to harm another, even to the extent of the act of killing: 12And the Lord said to Satan, “Behold, all that he has is in your power; only do not lay a hand on his person.”17While he was still speaking, another also came and said, “The Chaldeans formed three bands, raided the camels and took them away, yes, and killed the servants with the edge of the sword; and I alone have escaped to tell you!” Job 1:12, 17, NKJV
6. Demons can possess a person and gain control of their actions. 2And when He had come out of the boat, immediately there met Him out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit, 3who had his dwelling among the tombs; and no one could bind him, not even with chains, 4because he had often been bound with shackles and chains. And the chains had been pulled apart by him, and the shackles broken in pieces; neither could anyone tame him. 5And always, night and day, he was in the mountains and in the tombs, crying out and cutting himself with stones. Mark 5:2-5, NKJV
These verses do confirm that Satan can assign a demon to deal with a specific unbeliever and the unbeliever do have serious concerns if this happens.
Ghost Rider: “My name is legion, for we are many”
This 2007 superhero film that starred Nicolas Cage as Johnny Blaze / Ghost Rider featured a character named Blackheart
The dialogue occurs nearly at the end of the movie. Using a lost contract of San Venganza, Blackheart absorbed a thousand human souls and promptly declares: “My name is legion, for we are many”.
It became his weakness as Ghost Rider used his “penance stare” to defeat the demon villain.
This quotation came from an actual verse in the bible indicating a similar situation except the roles are reversed: there are many demons possessing one human being in the bible story instead of the one demon absorbing many human souls depicted in the movie.
Here is the movie clip:
Here is the bible account:
1Then they came to the other side of the sea, to the country of the Gadarenes. 2And when He had come out of the boat, immediately there met Him out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit, 3who had his dwelling among the tombs; and no one could bind him, not even with chains, 4because he had often been bound with shackles and chains. And the chains had been pulled apart by him, and the shackles broken in pieces; neither could anyone tame him. 5And always, night and day, he was in the mountains and in the tombs, crying out and cutting himself with stones.
6When he saw Jesus from afar, he ran and worshiped Him. 7And he cried out with a loud voice and said, “What have I to do with You, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I implore You by God that You do not torment me.”
8For He said to him, “Come out of the man, unclean spirit!” 9Then He asked him, “What is your name?” And he answered, saying, “My name is Legion; for we are many.”
10Also he begged Him earnestly that He would not send them out of the country. 11Now a large herd of swine was feeding there near the mountains. 12So all the demons begged Him, saying, “Send us to the swine, that we may enter them.” 13And at once Jesus gave them permission. Then the unclean spirits went out and entered the swine (there were about two thousand); and the herd ran violently down the steep place into the sea, and drowned in the sea.
14So those who fed the swine fled, and they told it in the city and in the country. And they went out to see what it was that had happened. 15Then they came to Jesus, and saw the one who had been demon-possessed and had the legion, sitting and clothed and in his right mind. And they were afraid. 16And those who saw it told them how it happened to him who had been demon-possessed, and about the swine. 17Then they began to plead with Him to depart from their region.
18And when He got into the boat, he who had been demon-possessed begged Him that he might be with Him. 19However, Jesus did not permit him, but said to him, “Go home to your friends, and tell them what great things the Lord has done for you, and how He has had compassion on you.” 20And he departed and began to proclaim in Decapolis all that Jesus had done for him; and all marveled. Mark 5:1-20, NKJV
Purpose of the bible
The bible made clear what kind of book is it. It is intended for those who want eternal life. It is not a medical, science, logic or history book. Many tend to forget this.
You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life. John 5:39-40, New King James Version
It also made its theme clear. While there are many tales narrated by the bible, one thing remains clear from start to finish: Humans caught in a crossfire between powerful adversaries and one of them, a loving God, is offering redemption/salvation.
The bible says the devil rebelled and continues to rebel against God and dragged humans along to be involved in this godly battle he started.
7And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, 8but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer. Revelation 12:7-8, NKJV
…she [Eve] took of its fruit and ate. She also gave to her husband [Adam] with her, and he ate… And the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?” The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.” So the Lord God said to the serpent…I will put enmity Between you and the woman, And between your seed and her Seed…. Genesis 3: 6, 14-15, NKJV
12Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved. Luke 8:12, NIV
God’s love and the danger posed prompted Jesus to come to earth and provided everyone a way to get out of the mess.
16For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16, NKJV
8He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 1 John 3:8, NKJV
These verses encapsulates what the new testament is for. If you are encourage by these verses, you are invited to search the bible deeper and find out more about Jesus and his teachings.
The presence of spirits and unexplainable events and multiple scientific, medical, and logical reasons that supports the bible and its authors’ credibility project a possibility that God do exists. If you are still unconvinced of the existence of God despite these proofs, being conservative might be the best alternative here.
Accountants describe conservatism as selecting the option that would show the worst possible financial standing of a business entity when two or more unproven alternatives are available. This is to remove the user of the account’s output be exposed to a bigger risk in case the worst possible scenario happens.
As it stands, the risk of not believing in and obeying God far outweighs the benefits of doubting his existence. It might be best to act conservatively, believe what the bible says, until you have absolutely proven that there is indeed no God nor hell.
By: Armando M. Bolislis
If you are inspired and want to give Jesus a try, continue a deeper search of the bible, especially the New Testament. This will show you how to become his disciple. Always ask the Holy Spirit for guidance in your search.
If you feel the want or need to belong to a Christian church or organization, find one that preaches the Word of God and will help you improve your relationship with Christ and lead you to his eternal promises.
The theologies and doctrines about faith contained in this article are solely from God through the bible. The author is just an instrument used to spread the word for the glory of God. The personal opinions and suggestions on issues outside of biblical coverage from the author doesn’t necessarily reflect the stance of Baguio Herald Express management and staff.