Typhoon Lawin victims receive assistance

BONTOC, Mountain Province  – Victims of typhoon Lawin in the province continue to receive financial assistance as the Provincial Government through its Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office have resumed distributing aid to identified recipients with partially damaged houses or agricultural damages.

Provincial Governor Bonifacio C. Lacwasan, Jr. have been visiting the different municipalities to spearhead the delivery of the financial aid to its recipients. Last July 20 this year, victims from Besao and Sagada brought about by typhoon Lawin received their financial assistance. On the next day the chief executive visited Sadanga and recently visited Sabangan last Thursday, July 27. The recipients from Paracelis and Tadian are scheduled to receive their cash assistance next month.

It will be recalled that the province was one of the affected areas during the onslaught of typhoon Lawin in October last year. On January and February this year, identified recipients with totally damaged house received their cash assistance in the amount of P5,000.00. According to Miguela Angwani, Social Welfare Officer IV – PSWDO, the first release with a total amount of P305,000.00 catered to 61 recipient province wide.

In his recent visits, Governor Lacwasan explained that the general basis in identifying a recipient is the submission of complete documents and report of damages to the Barangay or to the Municipal Disaster Risk and Reduction Management Office.

He also informed that the financial assistance that are being distributed are donations from the City Government of Valenzuela, City Government of Davao, City Government of Taguig and Land Bank of the Philippines – Bontoc Branch. Through this donations, the provincial government has accumulated an amount of P1.2M. PAGCOR has also donated an amount to be utilized in the purchase of construction materials to be distributed to beneficiaries.

Moreover, the Governor said that the delay of the second release of financial aid is brought about by the modification of some guidelines by the Provincial Disaster Risk and Reduction Management Office (PDRRMO) to cater to every identified beneficiary who submitted the required documents.

“This meager amount may not be enough but we hope that it will help you in one way or another,” the governor said.

For the second release, Ms. Angwani said that a total of 98 recipients with partially damaged house including 7 with totally damaged house are listed in the financial aid. She added that most of the recipients are from Paracelis with 59 beneficiaries.

Meanwhile, for the livelihood assistance, OPAG Supervising Agriculturist Mary Frances W. Buanzi said that 46 identified recipient province wide with agricultural damages are entitled to P10,000.00 livelihood assistance and most beneficiaries already received their assistance during the ongoing distribution.

By Erwin S. Batnag

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*

code