Camp Maj Bado Dangwa, La Trinidad, Benguet – Following the surrender of Annie Tauli last week, three more suspected members of Militia ng Bayan (NPA) surrendered to PROCOR Regional Director PBGen Rw’in Pagkalinawan.
Pagkalinawan identified the surrenderees as Alyas Balyer, Alyas Nanay and Alyas WiIly. The trio surrendered through the concerted efforts of the intelligence operatives of PROCOR Regional Intelligence Division (RID), RIU 14, PIB, Benguet PPO and La Trinidad Police with the support and intercession of the LCEs and their relatives. Willy and Nanay surrendered with firearms and explosives.
Investigation shows that Balyer, 25, is a squad Leader under the Komite Larangan Guerilya (KLG) operating in the quad boundary of Benguet, Abra, Mountain Province and Ilocos Sur. He also surrendered his KG9 submachine gun with nine (9) live ammunitions and MK2 hand grenade.
Balyer revealed that sometime in 2013, he was recruited because of his skills in playing gongs and was seen joining various invitations of cultural presentation in Baguio City. He then became an active member of the Pinatud-Anakbayan, Kabataan para sa Tribung Pilipino (KATRIBU) under Beverly Longid and eventually became active in protest rallies. The following year 2014, he and others were integrated and exploited to various anti-government protests and later joined the underground movement where he was inducted as candidate party member of the group.
Nanay, 47 years old, is the mother of Balyer. She is an active supporter and member of the Milisya ng Bayan (MB) operating in Barangay Tabacda, Tubo, Abra. She surrendered along with her Colt 45 with seven (7) live ammunitions and MK2 hand grenade.
Willy, 54 year old activist operating in Baguio City, surrendered without firearm. He entered the leftist group sometime in 1986 and became a leader of various sectoral organizations based in Baguio City and Benguet province, particularly, BAYAN MUNA and a member of the Philippine Mediation Center, Justice Hall, Baguio City.
On October 1, 2007, he was arrested along Abanao, Street, Baguio City by virtue of a warrant of arrest for the crime of frustrated murder and 7 counts of murder, however, all charges were dismissed on March 16, 2008 for failure of the prosecution to present their witnesses.
Further, Willy carries a monetary reward of Php500,000.00 under DND-DILG Memorandum Circular 02-2007. Despite being cleared of all allegations against him, his name still appeared in the PSRTG list which prompted him to turn himself in to clear his name.
The PNP said these Communist insurgents decided to leave the underground movement because they have learned that their comrades who have surrendered is living a peaceful life and enjoying the good life given by the government. In addition, they are tired of the hardships experienced in the mountains, hiding and always being on the run due to massive joint AFP/PNP combat operations.
Further, Nanay appealed to all students not to be deceived by the techniques in recruiting young ones. She further encouraged other members and supporters of the New People’s Army to lay down their arms, and return to the mainstream of society.
“These surrenderees will undergo the custodial and stress debriefing prior to their enrollment to the government’s Enhanced Comprehensive Local Integration Program (E-CLIP), Pagkalinawan said.
The PROCOR leadership considers this continues surrender of NPAs as a welcome development. He assures that the PNP will help them return to their normal way of life thru the delivery of basic social and public safety services. “With our collective efforts, we can make a difference in securing our people from any terroristic acts. That is the Filipino spirit of bayanihan”, General PAGKALINWAN added.
PROCOR RPIO release
You might also like: